Saturday, June 20, 2009

grandmas marathon


grandmas marathon

This Saturday we’re heading up to Duluth, MN to run Grandma’s Marathon (no, participation is not limited to female senior citizens). Michelle and my sister-in-law Amanda are running the 1/2 marathon. My Dad, brother Andy, and I are running the full. It should be a great weekend – the weather forecast looks good, the course is by far my favorite marathon course, and Duluth is a great city.In all honesty, though, I’m a little nervous about the race. Of the 10+ marathons I’ve run, this will be close to the worst shape I’ve ever been in to run. Thus, I’ve decided to approach this as a simple training run. I’ve also decided to experiment with a couple of things that will hopefully keep my mind off of my rapidly enervating body.

First, I’m planning to bring several energy gel packets. Although gels have been around for a long time, the Des Moines marathon last October (another race for which I was less than optimally prepared) was the first time I really used them. In that race I took two gels, both close to the end of the race, but I could definitely tell the difference. After doing a little research, I’m planning to take about four gels this time and space them out evenly throughout the race. We’ll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

age calculator

Date  Month  Year





You have been living for:
In months:
In days:
In hours:
In minutes:
Your next birthday will be in:
   H