Sunday, May 9, 2010

betty white saturday night live


'Saturday Night Live' recap: Betty White makes the night

At 88 1/2 years old, Betty White this weekend became the oldest host of "Saturday Night Live" and delivered (inspired?) 1 of the show's most consistently funny episodes of the season.

I realize that my Betty love could be tainting my opinion, but I enjoyed practically every sketch. Having White and returning cast members Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Molly Shannon, Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer and Rachel Dratch seemed to freshen every tired current skit "SNL" trotted out.

Sure, the "SNL" writers overplayed White's age and naughty nature by giving her a ton of genitalia, sex and elderly jokes, but they just didn't seem to get--no pun intended--old. I was actually surprised how much they used her, too. She was in every skit. I half expected her to perform with Jay-Z. (I may have enjoyed him more.)

I was a little surprised they didn't spoof "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" or "Golden Girls" or something else from White's 62-year career, but I can't say I'm disappointed. It may have been too obvious a joke. It might have been to have her spoof her career in some other way; maybe playing a bitchy version of herself. But I guess she's done that already on "30 Rock," or was it "Ugly Betty?"

Anyway, let's talk about what they did do with White. Below you'll find a recap of all the Bettiness. I happen to think that if it wasn't the best "SNL" of the current season, it was close to it. The Tina Fey-hosted ep was great, but this one was more consistently funny. Did White top the other high points of the season, Zach Galifianakis and Jon Hamm? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

age calculator

Date  Month  Year





You have been living for:
In months:
In days:
In hours:
In minutes:
Your next birthday will be in:
   H