Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Live To Dance

'Live to Dance' Recap: The Good, The Bad, And The Memorable

Paula Abdul is back at the judges' table on her new show Live to Dance, along with choreographer Travis Payne and the Pussycat Dolls member Kimberly Wyatt. For tonight's premiere, contestants competed to get on the short list for the semi-finals as they make their way to the finale where somebody, or a group of somebodies, will be named America's best dance act. The pot of gold at the end of that rainbow is worth a nice $500,000 and unlike other competitions, there is no age limit so the lucky leprechaun can be 9 or 90.

I generally hate the beginning of talent competitions because they always spend so much time on mediocre or downright awful contestants, but this 1 kept that to a minimum and it was actually quite enjoyable. Of course, that doesn't mean it was all good! Here's a rundown of the good, the bad, and the ... otherwise memorable.

The Good

My favorite act so far is definitely Twitch. They have a really cool style -- somewhat reminiscent of Wade Robson's choreography -- and with all those girls and only 1 guy, they sure do stand out. Am I bothered that they share a name with my SYTYCD husband? Yes, but I'll try not to hold it against them.

83-year-old Bev and 68-year-old Hap were not only adorable, they were also quite good. I don't think they would win this competition, but she can do more push-ups than me and I don't even know how to cartwheel, so who am I to judge?

The Bad

The Solid Gold Dancers got Travis to change his mind and let them on the short list, but they were not that impressive. Kimberly was right, it seemed like they were holding back the whole time. Hopefully they'll be back and really bring it next time.

Of all the nameless dance acts they showed clips of, I was most confused by the clown family or whatever the heck they were supposed to be. Maybe it's just my aversion to clowns, but I'm sure the child on stage with them will have nightmares about that humiliation.

The Memorable

That poor girl who fell on her head and didn't realize she had a huge bump on her forehead had to relive that awful moment on national television tonight. I'm sorry, sweetie!

Jill and Jacob were great dancers and easily made it through to the short list, but that poor boy was so obviously in love with her and she was so obviously not that it was painful to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

age calculator

Date  Month  Year





You have been living for:
In months:
In days:
In hours:
In minutes:
Your next birthday will be in:
   H